• 6 - 8 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (such as Granny Smith)
• 2 -3 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 cup flour
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1⁄2 cup butter
• vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream
1. Toss apples with lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon; turn into an 8x8” baking pan that has been lightly coated with no-stick cooking spray; dot with butter.
2. Cut together flour, brown sugar, and butter until crumbly; sprinkle evenly over apples.
3. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes until apples are tender; serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
4. VARIATION: This recipe can be made diabetic-friendly by substituting Splenda for the granulated sugar and substituting 1/2 cup Splenda for 1/2 cup of the brown sugar - the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar is still used.